Aids and Equipment Program Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Aids and Equipment Program (A&EP) and what does it do?

The Aids & Equipment Program (A&EP) is funded by the Department of Health and Human Services. This program provides people with a permanent or long-term disability, as well as those who are frail aged with funding towards the cost of aids and equipment.

What types of equipment and modifications does the Aids & Equipment Program help to fund?

  •  Bathing/showering/toileting equipment
  •  Beds/mattresses/bed accessories
  •  Electronic voice aids
  •  Environmental control units
  •  Home modifications
  •  Orthoses and custom footwear
  •  Pressure care equipment
  •  Specialised seating
  •  Transfer equipment
  •  Walking and standing aids
  •  Wheelchairs (includes customisation) and scooters
  •  Wigs - Wig FAQ here

What will it cost?

There are maximum subsidy levels for each equipment category. If the subsidy does not cover the full cost of the equipment, you or a third party will need to pay the remainder. The individual equipment subsidies can be found under Available Items and Subsidy.

Am I eligible?

You are eligible for funding if you:

  • Are a permanent Victorian Resident or hold a temporary or permanent protection Visa or are an asylum seeker
  • Have a long term disability and/or are frail aged
  • Do not receive other government funding for equipment
  • Are not an in-patient of a public or private hospital or residential care facility
  • Cannot claim equipment through private health insurance
  • Have not been released from hospital or an extended care centre within 30 days, where equipment required is related to the hospital admission

How do I apply for the program?

You will need to be assessed by a SWEP registered prescriber. Your prescriber will complete a prescription form based on your needs. Your prescriber will also need to source a quote for the equipment from a supplier.

Where can I find a SWEP Registered Prescriber?

Please talk to your local health care professional about finding a SWEP registered prescriber near you.

What happens after my application is submitted?

SWEP will receive your application and we will process and triage your application. Once your application is processed, a letter will be sent to you informing you of the status of your application. If you do not receive a letter within two weeks, please contact your prescriber or SWEP's Customer Service line on 1300 PH SWEP (1300 747 937).
Depending on the equipment, further documents may be needed to complete the application process. These will be sent to either you or your prescriber. Please ask your prescriber or call SWEP to clarify any questions you may have about these documents.
If the subsidy does not cover the full cost of the equipment, a gap funding form may be sent to you to complete. This form will inform SWEP as to how the remainder of the cost is to be paid.
When funding is available, SWEP will call you to check if the equipment or customisation is still needed and then place an order.

What do I do if the equipment I'm using breaks down?

Phone: 1300 PH SWEP (1300 747 937) and one of the SWEP staff will organise to get the equipment repaired for you.

SWEP and Chemtronics provide an emergency After-hours service 24 hours per day, every day of the year including public holidays. When you call 1300 PH SWEP (1300 747 937) during normal business hours please press 1 to talk to a member of our repairs team. Outside of normal business hours you will be directed to the After-hours Emergency Service which is manned by SWEP staff.

What are my responsibilities towards the equipment?

By accepting equipment from SWEP, you agree:
  • The equipment is issued on a loan basis for as long as you need it unless you pay more than 50% towards the cost
  • To keep the equipment in good order and repair
  • The equipment is provided for your use only
  • You cannot re-lend the equipment or give or sell it to anyone else
  • You cannot modify or use the equipment inappropriately

Who owns the equipment issued?

SWEP retains ownership of equipment that is able to be reissued when SWEP has contributed more than 50% towards the cost of the item.

How do I provide feedback?

Feedback can be provided in the following ways:

  • Fill in a feedback form available on our Contact page.
  • Call our Customer Service line on: 1300 PH SWEP (1300 747 937) or (03) 5333 8100. If you require an interpreter, or have a hearing or speech impediment, we can assist by accessing the Victorian Telephone Interpreting & Translating Service or National Relay Service.
  • Write to us at: P.O. Box 1993, Bakery Hill, Vic 3354
  • Email us at swep@bhs.org.au
  • Send a fax to 03 5333 8111


Please see the A&EP Items & Available Subsidy section or call SWEP on 1300 PH SWEP (1300 747 937) or (03) 5333 8100 for further information.

Printable version
© 2015 State-wide Equipment Program (SWEP). All rights reserved.
Staff Login    Privacy Policy    Disclaimer    Contact Us    Website by 61 Design