Call us on
1300 747 937

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Supported Accommodation Equipment Assistance Scheme (SAEAS)?

The Supported Accommodation Equipment Assistance Scheme (SAEAS) is funded by the Department of Health and Human Services. This program provides people with a permanent or long term disability, as well as those who are frail aged, who reside in a Department of Health and Human Services funded accommodation facility with funding towards the cost of Assistive Technology (AT) items.

What types of AT items does SAEAS help to fund?

  • Bathing/showering/toileting AT items
  • Beds/mattresses/bed accessories
  • Change tables
  • Electronic voice aids
  • Environmental control units
  • Orthoses and custom footwear
  • Pressure care AT items
  • Specialised seating
  • Transfer AT items
  • Walking and standing aids
  • Wheelchairs (includes customisation) and scooters
  • Wigs

What will it cost?

There are maximum subsidy levels for each AT item category. If the subsidy does not cover the full cost of the AT item, you or a third party will need to pay the remainder. AT item subsidies can be found under the SAEAS Available AT Items and Subsidy Section.

Am I eligible?

You are eligible for funding if you:

  • Are a permanent Victorian Resident or hold a temporary or permanent protection Visa or are an asylum seeker
  • Have a long term disability and/or are frail aged
  • Do not receive other government funding
  • Are living in a government funded disability supported accommodation facility
  • Are not an in-patient of a public or private hospital or residential care facility
  • Cannot claim AT items through private health insurance
  • Have not been released from hospital or an extended care centre within 30 days, where AT items required is related to the hospital admission

How do I apply for the program?

You will need to be assessed by a SWEP registered AT Practitioner. Your AT Practitioner will complete an application form based on your needs.

What happens after my application is submitted?

SWEP will receive your application and an administration officer will process and triage your application. Once your application is processed, a letter will be sent to you informing you of the status of your application. If you do not receive a letter within two weeks, please contact your AT Practitioner or SWEP's Customer Service line on 1300 PH SWEP (1300 747 937).

Depending on the AT item, further documents may be needed to complete the application process. These will be sent to either you or your AT Practitioner. Please ask your AT Practitioner or call SWEP to clarify any questions you may have about these documents.


If the subsidy does not cover the full cost of the AT item, a gap funding form may be sent to you to complete. This form will advise SWEP as to how the remainder of the cost is to be paid.

When funding is available, SWEP will call you to ascertain an ongoing need for the AT item or customisation and then place an order.

What do I do if my AT item breaks down?

Phone: 1300 PH SWEP (1300 747 937) and one of the SWEP staff will organise to get the AT item repaired for you.

SWEP and Chemtronics provide an emergency After-hours service 24 hours per day, every day of the year including public holidays. When you call 1300 PH SWEP (1300 747 937), you will be directed to the After-hours Emergency Service which is manned by SWEP staff.

What are my responsibilities towards the AT item?

By accepting AT item from SWEP you agree:
  • The AT item is issued on a loan basis for as long as you need it unless you pay more than 50% towards the cost
  • To keep the AT item in good order and repair
  • The AT item is provided for your use only
  • You cannot re-lend the AT item or give or sell it to anyone else
  • You cannot modify or use the AT item inappropriately

How do I provide feedback?

Feedback can be provided in the following ways:
  • Fill in a feedback form available on our Contact page.
  • Call our Customer Service line on: 1300 PH SWEP (1300 747 937) or (03) 5333 8100. If you require an interpreter, or have a hearing or speech impediment, we can assist by accessing the Victorian Telephone Interpreting & Translating Service or National Relay Service.
  • Write to us at: P.O. Box 1993, Bakery Hill, Vic 3354
  • Email us at swep@gh.org.au
  • Send a fax to 03 5333 8111

Please see the A&E Guidelines on the SWEP website: http://swep.bhs.org.au/ or call SWEP on 1300 PH SWEP (1300 747 937) for further information on eligibility.

© 2021 State-wide Equipment Program (SWEP). All rights reserved.
Staff Login    Privacy Policy    Disclaimer    Contact Us    Website by 61 Design